You can use Afterpay (also known as Clearpay in the European Union and the United Kingdom) for payments with Stripe. Afterpay is a payment method that lets your customers in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States buy now and pay later.
Your customer only pays the first installment during purchase. Afterpay immediately pays the school owner the full amount upfront and collects the remaining amount from your customer in installments and a standard payout timing.
Afterpay is a flexible way for your customers to purchase a product with installments, and this will give the user a chance to opt for a more expensive course or bundle since it can be paid in smaller and manageable amounts as the cost concern is then significantly reduced.
Domestic Transactions Only
You can accept payments from customers in the same country where you registered your Stripe account in. Payments must also match the local currency of the country.
AfterPay/ ClearPay is available only for domestic transactions (merchant & purchaser in the same country). Stripe accounts in the following countries can accept Afterpay/Clearpay payments with local currency settlement.
Depending on the country, there is a limit for minimum and maximum course values, so make sure to navigate here to see the list of the total transaction limits and installment schedules by country.
How to Set up Afterpay/Clearpay payments through Stripe
In case the Admin has connected a Stripe account that doesn’t support this payment method (due to country restrictions) they will not be able to see the Afterpay/ Clearpay option in the LearWorlds Stripe settings, as available for activation.
1. Enable Afterpay/Clearpay as a payment method in your Stripe account. Navigate from your Stripe Dashboard to Settings → Payment methods and enable Afterpay/Clearpay.
2. Click on Settings → Financial → Payment Gateway and enable Afterpay/Clearpay.
When the Afterpay/Clearpay option is enabled:
- Scenario 1: If the Billing Details section is activated and the standard billing details are also active, nothing extra takes place.
- Scenario 2: If the Billing Details section is activated and the standard billing details are not activated.
Then, the standard billing details are activated, and the admin is informed via a notification message (the same way it happens when they’re not active and the Tax Management integration gets activated).
Scenario 3: In case the Billing Details section is not activated, then the billing details section and the standard billing details are activated, and the admin is informed via a notification message (the same way it happens when they’re not active and the Tax Management integration gets activated).
You can check how this will appear if someone wishes to pay via Afterpay/Clearpay.
When this payment option is enabled, then when a purchase takes place, the user:
- Is requested to fill in their billing details as part of their transaction,
- Can see this payment option available on the payment page,
- Can see this payment option disabled and, upon hover, be informed via a tooltip that their country is not supported via Afterpay/Clearpay. In case you would like to switch the text within this tooltip, you can visit the Site Language section.
- Can select this payment option and complete the transaction.
If a user wishes to purchase a course with installments, they can see the full price of the course on the LearnWorlds payment page. But, later, when they are redirected to the Afterpay/Clearpay environment, they will be able to select installments.
For more information on how to accept Afterpay/Clearpay payments through Stripe, you may visit: https://stripe.com/docs/payments/afterpay-clearpay