To create a self-assessment learning activity, you can either start from scratch by inserting your own questions or select one from our premade templates. A non-graded assessment serves as a refresher for users, facilitates the revision of a particular lesson, and responses are also stored in your school.
The Self Assessment is a non-graded assessment option, that allows your users to either test their knowledge, provide feedback, or share their thoughts. It is a hybrid option, that can combine the power of Form Questions & Exam questions in the same learning activity, and based on the types of questions added or the Assessment settings you configure (Manual Feedback) you can choose whether the users' responses will be available for you for extra feedback in the Review Center.
To create non-graded assessments:
1. Go to Courses → select your course.
2. Add activity → select Self Assessment.
3.a. You can start from scratch.
3.b. You can select one from the premade templates:
- Create a self-assessment to test your users' knowledge, with closed-ended knowledge questions, instant feedback, and no scoring.
- Create a self-assessment that will prompt users to express themselves, with a text assignment or a file assignment, or with a "Record Video" assignment. After submission, instructors and admins can review and provide feedback.
- Create a self-assessment to allow students to jot down their thoughts in a diary and reflect on things that happened, free from outside judgment and feedback.
4. Click on the Edit Questions button in order to access the Assessment Editor.
Self Assessment Structure
The structure of your assessment consists of the starting screen which can include an introduction to the assessment, organized sections with questions, and the ending screen, which appears once a user submits their assessment You can also add widgets to display information for example in Text or Image widgets. For more information on how to further customize the assessment's structure, you can check this article.
Self Assessment Questions
To add questions and further customize the content of the questionnaire, you can click on the +Add question button. You can insert:
- Exam questions (Scoring is Disabled). Exam questions have right or wrong answers, and you can provide instant feedback in order for users to self-evaluate depending on their answers. You can review the answers in the Responses tab. In case you add Text, File Assignments, or Record Video questions, by default those Self Assessments will be stored in the Review Center in order for feedback to be provided by an admin or instructor (no grading since scoring is disabled).
- Form questions. Form questions are used to collect data from your users. No instant feedback is needed here. You can review the answers in the Responses tab. In case you enable the Manual Feedback option under Settings those Self Assessments. will be stored in the Review Center in order for feedback to be provided by an admin or instructor (no grading since scoring is disabled).
You can find detailed information on all of the available types of questions per Assessment type in the following article.
Manual Feedback Setting
You can push questionnaires with closed-ended or form types of questions to the Review Center for Feedback (not grading since scoring is disabled for Self Assessments). Students will see a pending screen while waiting for feedback and will be notified once it becomes available.
Assessments containing assignments (questions that need to be manually graded/reviewed) are always sent to the Review Center and are not affected by this setting.