With the Drip-Feed feature, you can essentially organize the timely release of your content (per each course section ) so that not all of your course content becomes available to your users all at once after they sign up.
You need to create your course, the Course Sections, and add Learning Activities. Then, determine when exactly you wish your course sections to become available to your users.
Enable the Drip-feed
To drip-feed your course:
1. Go to Courses and choose the course you wish to drip-feed.
2. Navigate to the Access tab, scroll and enable the Drip feed feature.
3. Select the Drip-feed type that best suits your course flow.
4. Save your changes.
Note: The drip feed does not apply to Private/Paid courses with Free sections.
Set up your course sections
Each course is divided into many sections that are basically the parts you make available gradually to your users. Once you enable the drip feed, go to Contents, where you will see that the course is dripped, and you can start setting the drip-feed date for each course section.
Drip by date
When the drip is set to date, the below new button is shown in Contents, linked to the drip feed.
1. Click on the No Date specified (or the footsteps icon).
2. In the panel that pops up, find the Drip feed details where you can specify the date this section will unlock for all enrolled users.
3. Don't forget to save your changes in the sideform and also click on the main course's Save button! The drip feed date you set for this course section will now replace the previous No Date specified.
Drip by days
When the drip is set to days, two new buttons are shown under Contents, linked to the drip feed.
Note: 0 days mean that the section is unlocked from day one.
1. Click on the 0 days (or the footsteps button).
2. Specify in the panel that pops up after how many days/weeks this section will drip depending on each user's enrollment date.
3. Don't forget to save your changes in the sideform and also click on the main course's Save button! The date you set for this course section will now replace the previous 0 days.
Checking the users' timeline
You may want to check users with access to each course section or unlock a section ahead of time for a special user. This is only available in the Drip by Days feature.
When the drip is set to days, click on the users' button next to the specified date.
Review the Users' progress in the specific section check the day each user is per section, and search for users across sections.
If you wish to unlock a section ahead of time for specific users, you can find more information here.
You can notify users who are enrolled in a course once a section is unlocked.
1. Click on No date specified (or the specified date button) for the Drip by date or the 0 days (or days button) for the Drip by days.
2. In Section edit, enable the E-mail notification option and edit the message you wish to send to your users.
3. Don't forget to save your changes in the sideform and also click on the main course's Save button.
Once the section is unlocked, your users will receive an email notification you will have personally written about the newly dripped material. You can also use variables to make the email personal and engaging.
- The notification email must include content in its subject and body otherwise, the email notification will not get delivered to users once the course section gets dripped fed.
- The drip-feed section is unlocked, and the email is sent at 00:00 based on your school's time zone. Make sure to set up the drip-feed notification at least 24 hours before the unlock (otherwise, the email notification will not be sent).
- If two or more sections of a single course are scheduled to be released on the same day/date, only the email notification for the last section is sent, so you will only need to set up the Send email notification option for the last section.
- Make sure to always have a section (for example, the first one) with zero days or with the course's starting date applied to track where each user is currently located in terms of drip-feed progress.